Subject: Re: Player flashing
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-06-24

> You know what, I had a look at the datasheets. It is incredible that
> they made such a flash which is not designed to be flashed in situ (like
> all other)

It's an older chip, and probably was just cheaper.

> But it should be still possible to program the flash by controlling 2
> pins:
> first apply 12v on the CE (should be controlled by software, 12v from
> external device of course)
> then play with the sh1 wait state pin to make 10us write pulses. This
> little logic can be implemented in a very smal PLD adding wait states
> only for write accesses.
> the timings seem compatible...
>
> Then to program the flash the software just have to apply the 12v, then
> directly write into the flash.
>
> what do you think of that?

I think you should replace the chip, this is way more easy.

Having the old chip would be very uncomfortable, even if you add programming
logic to your player (insulate the rest from the 12V!). You'd just be able
to reprogram the whole chip, it does not have sectors. So the .ucl update
business would not work.

About UART boot, I have pasted some tidbits of text into a wiki page:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/twiki/bin/view/Main/UartBoot
It's plain raw, I need to structure it.

Jrg

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router fr alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl