Subject: Re: Legal Allegations Quelled (was: making plugins work)
From: BlueChip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2004-06-10

> > I'm starting to grow weary over the false allegations of "GPL license
> > violation" - I can't wait to read what mud you sling next - and as you're
> > making it up as you go along now, it could be ANYthing :)
>
>I know about that URL, I read it. I used it when we discussed what changes you
>want, you know when we ended up agreeing that you need to change a bunch of
>things? That URL is not the source and it is not even a patch. It is however a
>text about what changes you want(ed) done.

I think this was all resolved most amicably on IRC just now.
So anyone interested can read the IRC log.

> > I thought we agreed yesterday on how to implement generic changes which
> > would enable Audio_3587 to run on native Rockbox whilst at the same time
> > ensuring those same changes are of wider benefit to all - such as generic
> > speech support for plugins. If there is anything you feel was not entirely
> > resolved and you believe I can help, please ask :)
>
>That is exactly what I'm saying. There are several changes we need to get made
>differently than what you've suggested. Thus, even if you would provide your
>changes as diffs they don't offer the functionality we want to add. Things
>like language and speach supports for plugins are perfect examples. Others
>include how you invoke a plugin explicitly from firmware code.

Yes, honesty dictates that I say the reason I did it that way was because I
never believed my Audio code would be accepted after all the malarky with
it a few months back - long before the nomenclature issue existed.

>Once we have figured out all those issues and worked in code that offers that
>functionality, then your plugin should be able to use all those.

:)

>A previous mail in this thread could give the impression that "the core guys"
>are "in the way" from letting this plugin run as-is on a plain original
>Rockbox by anything else than pure technical merits. I was trying to say that
>we are not "in the way" for good source code and good solutions to problems.
>
>I want speach support for plugins. I want language support for plugins. I want
>MAS-access for plugins. I want "run-this-plugin-on-boot" support.
>
>We just need to discuss how to add this, then add it.
>
>This is what I think has to be done to make those "doors fly open".

We are in absolute agreement.

As I mentioned on IRC I would also happily help with all these points, I
just wanna do cool programming stuff, I don't really care about the
direction too much. But, as none of my code can be included in Rockbox, I
can only offer you moral support and keep pushing the REALLY EASY TO USE
(lol) windows dev kit on my site in the hope of attracting new programmers.

>I was only waiting for your personal attacks to start again to make me regret
>breaking my promise in the past.

Your wait is over ...it ain't gonna happen - I offered my metaphorical hand
in friendship, you metaphorically accepted it ...nothing else is relevant
[to me]

Peace,

BlueChip