Subject: Need help with UART boot
From: Andreas Stemmer (groovingandi_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-06-02

I tried to upgrade my non-flashable jukebox (recorder 20) with a new flash
chip today, but I need some help with [IDC]Dragon's uart_boot tool. I
started with doing the serial mod and the uart boot mod. Then I tried if
those two mods were succesful by hooking it up to my computer and testing
the uart_boot tool.

I tried the following scenarios:
a) 1. jukebox off, UART boot mod enabled (LCD lines driven low)
   2. uart_boot -p COM1 -r -a -b
   3. power-on jukebox
   Result: uart_boot is waiting for box startup endlessly

b) 1. jukebox off, UART boot mod disabled (original state)
   2. uart_boot -p COM1 -r -a -b
   3. power-on jukebox
   Result: uart_boot displays some menu (like [IDC]Dragon described it in
his early posts about the UART boot mod) and complains that it can't find
minimon_v2.bin

c) 1. UART boot mod enabled
   2. power-on jukebox
   3. uart_boot -p COM1 -r -b
   Result: LED is flashing as expected

Since I didn't really now what the -archos option does, I thought it worked
and started soldering in the flash chip. Afterwards I tried flashing the new
chip with

uart_boot -p COM1 -r -f firmware_rec.bin

and it looked as if it was successful, but it wasn't. If I dump the contents
of the flash, I get something completely different. But, the uart_boot seems
to work, since flashing the led works, the harddisk-shutdown works and the
readout of the flash id works as well (I get 0xBF, 0xD6 with the new chip)

Any ideas? Could it be a hardware error, for example that I didn't solder it
in properly? But I guess that it wouldn't read out the IDs then.

Thank you,
Andreas