Subject: video with audio, sneak preview
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-02-05

Hi folks,

I'm approaching the finish line with my video+audio playback plugin. It was
a lot of work, way more than last time, where I was just pumping data to the
display as fast as possible.

The new plugin is not in cvs yet because it still lacks a feature which the
old one had, namely seeking (FF/FR). Tell me if you still want it instead.
The new one can only play from the start, pause and stop. But it has some new

- audio (obviously), including volume control on up/down button
- display update done in dedicated timer interrupt, very steady
- the backlight stays on
- prefetching in mp3 buffer allows to power down the disk (8MB helps a lot,
else it spins up quite frequently, video has ~480kbit/s, audio goes ontop)

I have a to-be-released command line tool, which multiplexes a "classical"
.rvf file together with a .mp3 (or .mp2) file into a new, interleaved .rvf
file format. So it's an additional step to add audio.

You can try the A/V player with the files from here:

The plugin there requires today's daily build. Exchange the standard
"video.rock" plugin with one from above, either for standard 2 MB or 8 if you
upgraded. Rename the new one to video.rock again.

There are 2 video clips: the famous Doom3 trailer now with sound (original
material is mono, with some distortion, boo), and a futurama episode, with
apologies to Fox TV. The latter is quite large, I suggest you try Doom first,
let's not do a DDoS on ;)
Video is encoded with 67 fps, so you get best visual results if your LCD is
close to that, see my fps test tool and survey.

Anybody challenged to write a user-friendly AVI/MPEG/DVD to rvf converter?

Have fun,

jetzt 3 Monate GRATIS + 3x DER SPIEGEL +++ +++