Subject: Re: What is the opinion on the best MP3 players now?
From: Daniel Gudlat (gudlat_at_web.de)
Date: 2003-12-09

H C wrote:
> Say, why is the older model preferable to the Recorder
> V2? Didn't the older model only have USB1.1?

 From what I've read here, the old JBR20 is the most reliable and useful
of Archos' MP3 player lineup. At least I can't complain about the two
units in our household. People reported several problems with the FM
models, many of them not Rockbox-related, so seeing as the V2 shares
most of the hardware with the FM and taking into account Archos' stellar
(not!) QC, it is fair to assume that the V2 will be plagued with by
same problems.

I don't know about the JBRs with the smaller drives, but the JBR20 has
USB2.0.

> Is it just because of the batteries? On all devices I
> have had in the past, I have preferred Li Ion because
> of higher capacity and no need to deep discharge. Of
> course, my box is nearly always plugged in anyway.

The batteries are definitely a factor, as is the better case design
(recessed buttons and display protected by the corner bumpers, instead
of the way these lie on the outwards-curved surface of the V2/FM, ready
to be bumped/borken). These days, you can easily get a set of
rechargeable AA's that have the same capacity (2200 mAh?) as the FM
battery, except you can get a spare set and rotate them, or easily
replace them when there are problems. Overall, the old JBR20 seems to
be one of the sturdier, more reliable and ultimately useful of Archos'
units.

> Is there some other overriding factor that I am
> missing?

No, just a lot of smaller things adding up, IMHO.

Daniel Gudlat