Subject: RE: Playback Question on VBR Recordings w/JBR
From: Andreas Stemmer (groovingandi_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2003-12-08

Andrew Glass wrote:
> When I copy the files onto my computer at
> work and play them back (either in WinAmp or in
> Windows Media Player) I am having a problem "fast
> forwarding" over the commercials.
> (...)
> Also, on WMP in particular, the indicated length of
> the file is way, way off the actual length of the
> recording.
> (...)
> Is this happening because the recording is being made
> at VBR?

Yes. With CBR MP3s, it is simple to calculate any position in the file. With
VBR MP3s, it's not so easy because the program would have to seek through
the whole file and add the length of each individual frame.
To solve this problem, there's a special header which contains a seek
position table. Probably, you're recorded file doesn't have this header.

Rockbox (later versions) produces this header automatically after recording
(except in time split mode iirc), I don't know about the archos firmware.
You can try to add the header afterwards and fix your file by running VBRFix
on it (ON+Play menu in Rockbox) or try this tool:
http://www.willwap.co.uk/Programs/vbrfix.html

> Is there a way to not record at a variable
> rate, but to select a fixed bit rate?

No, it's a hardware limit.

> Or, does anyone
> know of a player program that handles VBR playback in
> a way that will let me skip around in the file
> (predictably).

Try VBRFix and then any player of your choice.

Andreas