Subject: Re: a couple of questions about ver. 2.1
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2003-12-02

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> >Well, since the charging screen is being removed, recorder users will
> >have to live with a text too.
> How do you plan to handle the case when the battery is too weak to spin
> up the disk? I believe the charging mode is the easiest way to solve that.

It's not a solution, it just replaces one problem with another. Solving empty-battery-boot by killing power-triggered-boot is not acceptable. We've had this discussion already:

> I repeat: when you insert the charger when the device is off, you end up in
> the charging mode of the Archos firmware, like it or not.

Not on my unit, you don't. You end up in Rockbox. Currently we stop in a charging screen instead of doing a full bootup, but that will hopefully be changed soon.

Those not running Rockbox in flash are not affected by Rockbox' boot behaviour, so they are not a party to that issue.