Subject: RE: dead "play" button on Jukebox 20
From: Mike Ryan (mryan_at_itol.com)
Date: 2003-10-30

Well, I tried some surgery today. First, I found that it is MUCH easier to
remove the smallest PCB by cutting the two metal tabs instead of unsoldering
a BUNCH of places. Nice tip in the disassembly instructions! I found the
little switches to be a LOT smaller than I expected them to be. I assumed
that perhaps there was just a cold solder joint on the particular switch.
However, I was not expecting them to be surface mounted. Looks like they
would have had enough room to use a rubber-like button on a contact on the
PCB like they do in all recent TV remotes. I wish that they had. TV remotes
seem to last forever, even when I constantly use the up/down channel
buttons.

As you stated below, the problem is the switch itself, not the mounting /
soldering. I'm thinking that perhaps the easiest thing to do is to remove
the unused LINE-IN port and install a small pushbutton switch jumped to the
appropriate lines. Of course, I'll have to be even more creative if another
button stops working... If anybody knows where the same switches could be
purchased from I'd bet they could sell a bunch. I'd replace all six at the
same time as long as I had the case open. I'd buy a few spares as well,
knowing how unreliable they are.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!!!!

Mike