Subject: Re: Current state of "Flashbox"
From: idc-dragon_at_gmx.de
Date: 2003-08-29

> I'm confused. Maybe it's because I was on vacation for three weeks. But I
> seem to have lost track on the flash version of Rockbox. I tried to read
> up,
> and found several problems were reported. No charging, ATA errors, such
> things. Are those problems solved now? Appx. how many people have flashed
> their box and how many have had problems?

In general, chances that flashing kills your box are very small, I'd say.
The only itchy step is to flash for the first time, thus installing my
bootloader. Once that's done, you have two software images, the "permanent" one is
original Archos. It's the first and meant as a backup, versus the second is the
default to start and can be reflashed easily without touching the rest.

You can undo the flashing by restoring the original content, in case you
don't like it at all. Or one step less drastic, you can change the second
software by flashing an UCL with the original Archos firmware (can be found in my
webspace), so you're prepared to try again later in a more easy way. UCLs
recently can be flashed by simply "playing" them.

- AFAIF, there are no ATA erors any more. This was only with the very first
version.
- Charging problems are subject of current activity, some improvements have
been reported, you can use the backup firmware to charge if you have
problems.
- Some FMs don't seem to charge with even that, in which case you'll have to
fully revert the flash. Is this still happening to anybody?
- Recently, recording hangs were reported. Very strange, this is not
investigated yet.

Have I forgotten anything? I'd guess a lot of people have flashed, I got
many "this is great, worked flawless" kind of personal emails (thanks for the
feedback, especially since I haven't answered many of them). The problems
you've seen in the list, so I'd say this gives a false impression.

But in summary, if you feel uncomfortable about flashing and can live with
the startup time, just don't do it. ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it.")

> I can easily carry out the serial boot mod in case anything goes wrong (at
> my job I do much more complicated repairs), but I'd rather not spend the
> time on that.... for just a faster boot.

However, these capabilities vote for flashing... I have spend a _lot_ of
time on a faster boot, it will never pay back.

Jörg