Subject: RE: Misc questions + fading patch
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-08-22

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Eric Lassauge wrote:

> OK, now it could be the time to take a decision. Perhaps a lang file for all
> the plugins ?

Languages are loaded into memory so they need a reserved area to get loaded
into. That memory shall remain as small as possible, while still being able to
load the biggest languages.

The purpose of plugins is to make it possible to have virtually endless
functionality without increasing the size of the image. It would be highly
counter-productive to make a system where we will instead get a language file
added that will grow and grow for every new plugin that is added.

In a distant future, we might have 100 plugins, each with 50 strings each.
Having all those in one single file is not practical.

Not to mention how the coordination between plugins to use unique language
string IDs would need to work, which also works against the concept.

The more I think about it, the more I can't see how we can avoid having one
language file for every plugin...

> > > - favorites.h: FAVORITES_FILE ,
> > > - playlist_menu.c:DEFAULT_PLAYLIST_NAME,
> > > - tree.c:"root"
> >
> > They must not be in language files, as they are not language dependent.
>
> I didn't agree 'Favorites.m3u' or 'dynamic.m3u' is not language
> independent...

First, having them work differently when using different language makes it
harder to document. Then, there's no big gain in having them output localized
versions, as they're not frequently used (the names I mean).

> > I would say they *could* be made configurable, but that come at a price.
> > What's the benefit of doing it?
>
> Why not :->

Again: it comes at a price. We need to reserve more memory and thus shorten
your battery life by a small percentage.

Also, I always fight against all developments that make some operations start
to fail only because the user decided to try changing language. I would assume
that adding favourites should work the same, even if I use slovenian or greek
when I do it.