Subject: Re: "Flipping" through playlist songs takes a while
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-08-06

BlueChip wrote:
> If the dir contains many filenames which are l-o-n-g, the disk will spin
> down before you are able to read, fully, all the filenames on the screen.

Yes, since you are not pressing any buttons Rockbox assumes you are idle and spins down the disk.

> Yes, if it gets that bad, I WILL patch the code myself. However, in the
> meantime, it would be sensible to simply accept that the problem DOES exist!

What problem? That the disk spins down when you are idle? This is a deliberate feature.

The dir browser is the normal idle state for Rockbox. That's where you are when you are not doing anything else. Keeping the disk spinning then would drain the battery very quickly.

If you want a very long spindown timout, you can configure rockbox to use that. I don't understand why you are using a 3s timer while at the same time complaining that the disk spins down too quickly.

--
Björn