Subject: Re: Free HD space and PANIC
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-06-17

c s wrote:
> Can this fix also be extended to provide the correct
> amount of free space in the info menu? I know that the
> free space readout is wrong because of Microsoft's
> buggy and inconsistant behavior, but we wouldn't be
> the first ones to program around MS bugs.

It is actually very simple. All we have to do is search the entire FAT
for free clusters and sum them up. That takes quite a few seconds,
depending on the size of the FAT. We have code that does exactly that,
but only in the debug menu.

If the user accepts this (battery-draining) behaviour, we can change
that in an instance. But it means that the disk will spin up and search
the FAT for 5-10 (or more) seconds when the info menu is entered.

Opinions? Comments?

Linus