Subject: Re: Length of Players' strings in language files
From: Kjell Ericson (
Date: 2003-05-20

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Jean Boullier wrote:

> I think that the main problem is that 11-character strings are really very
> short to make a meaningful translation in all cases.

My suggestion is that the language files shall have an optional player version
for every text. Example:

eng: "Dir Buffer"
new: "Filsystembufferten"
new-player: "Filbuffert"

This is a "perfect" example where the english text is sufficient for that
language but every swedish player user will today only see "Filsystembu"
(which hardly noone understand). Scrolling this "splash"-information isn't
nice either so the only way out is to have a special player-text (unless
changing the swedish text for recorder too).

Having a special player-text today requires that we must make changes in the
code and that EVERY language must implement the new text. This is totally
unnecessary if we were smart (right?).

Wouldn't this be a guite simple thing to fix? Just an argument to genlang
telling it to look for "new-player" and "eng-player" if they exist when you
compile for the player?

Anyone against this solution?

  // Kjell