Subject: We surrender!!!
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-05-09

People have been whining and bitching about the 400-file limit for
months. We are tired. Very tired.

The Rockbox core team has decided that we have better things to do than
answering annoying complaints about the 400-file limit.

We give up. We have now made that limit (and the playlist size)
configurable. You can now configure the dir size to between 50 and 10000
files in steps of 50 files. The playlist size can be between 1000 and
20000 files in steps of 1000.

One catch: the device must be rebooted for the settings to take effect.

NOTE! You have to force a disk spinup (to save the settings) before you
reboot the jukebox after changing the settings! We may create a more
elegant solution to this later on, but this is how it works today.

The memory calculation formula for the dir size setting is:

numbytes = num_files_in_dir * (AVERAGE_FILENAME_SIZE * 2 + 8)

where AVERAGE_FILENAME_SIZE is 34 bytes

The formula for the playlist size is:

numbytes = num_files_in_playlist * 4;

Happy rockboxing!