Subject: Random numbers et al
From: Blue Chip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2003-04-06

Hi,

Still umming and arrring about what to buy, atm. the AJBR20 is winning
(shame the FM unit has no recmote pin >:( ).

Does anyone feel it appropriate to recommend a place to purchase one
(JBR20) in the UK?
I have read complaints about Archos Customer Service, so I am loathed to
deal with them directly :(

Anyway...

I am currently reviewing the source tree and am considering what part I
might play in its future development. A couple of things strike me to be
asked.

# As people have not adhered to a single source code layout, would it be
worth considering the use of a beautifier to standardise everything?

# The random number generator appears to be a horribly complex and memory
hungry block of code - is there any reason why this monstrous algorithm was
chosen over the classic "X <- (aX + c) mod m"?
If not, please say and I will forward my random number class (2 minutes to
convert back to C again) and documentation (including biblio) to some
relevant person. The memory, codespace and execution time could ALL be
greatly improved by this change.

# Would anybody entertain a rewrite of the core libs (memset/strcpy/etc) in
assembler - it appears that this would make a notable difference to the
speed of the codebase? Plus ASM is my language of choice.

# How simple is it to have the Cygwin dev kit installed alongside the
standard PC cygwin install?
The "one or the other" limitation could be a problem for me :(

Hope there's something helpful in this post.

Bc