Subject: Re: big problem with locked drive
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-01-31

Torben Klein wrote:
> I found a desciption to erase a disk using debug, may this unlock the disk?

Only if it uses the SECURITY ERASE UNIT command.

> Or is there kind of a masterpassword for hitachi disks?

Yes, all disks have a brand-specific default factory master password. Usually something simple like empty or all spaces. It can be very difficult to find out, though, since drive manufacturers generally don't want to tell you.

I got the impression you already found out the password. If not, this is where you should focus your effort.

--
Björn