Subject: Re[2]: converting old fonts started
From: Uwe Freese (mail_at_uwe-freese.de)
Date: 2002-09-17

Hello Greg,

Greg Haerr wrote on Tuesday, September 17, 2002, 7:24:08 PM:

GH> Uwe - these clR*.bdf fonts look very close to the fonts
GH> you're working on, do you suppose these are the originals?

They aren't (but I don't know where the old rockbox fonts came from).
And they seem to be no proportional fonts.

GH> You need to change the ENCODING value to start
GH> at 32, which is 0x20 (ascii space). Also, set
GH> DEFAULT_CHAR to 32.

Done. And the "STARTCHAR decXY" is only a description and I can change
them to start at 32, too?

GH> The DWIDTH value sets the individual font character width.

GH> The BBX w h x y value sets the size of the included BITMAP
GH> array in w,h, and the offset into the font at x,y. Normally,
GH> you can use exactly the same values for all the characters
GH> here except the w value, which should be the same as
GH> DWIDTH since you're manually creating it.

OK, done (5 fixed for the fixed-width-font and 'manually' couted the
cols with pixels in it for the width for the prop. font).

GH> Take another pass at it and I'll check it with some other
GH> bdf converters for correctness.

You'll find the new versions in the attachment.

GH> Whoops - I didn't see that you're on windows so that the tools/bdf2c
GH> perl script probably won't work.

Hm, I'm currently at holiday visiting my parents and there I have only
windows, but I can use a linux system of mine over ISDN.. So I can run
all the rockbox skripts/programs.

I run bdf2c and it stopped with too many errors.

So the work to be done is to clean up the bdf first. Could you please
do that?

Wrong values are:

- "SWIDTH:" - what's this?
- ...all the values before the char definitions start.

The newpropfont.bdf in the attachment seems to have an empty column at
the left of each character, I don't know if this is correct (look at
the bmp images, created with bdf2bmp.c found somewhere in the net).

Bye, Uwe.