Subject: Re: I, battery man ;-) (was: Question to powermgm.c charging algorithm)
From: Tjerk Schuringa (
Date: 2002-08-12

After lurking long I'd like to chime in with some remarks on charging: I
usually have the AJB connected to my stereo and it seems that the batteries are
always topped off when unplugging. The AJB charger is active for about five
hours then switches off ("CHARGED" in display). This is with the AJB off. The
more elaborate fast chargers do that in about two hours and get much hotter
than the AJB but they also monitor the temperature. I've got a charger with my
Fuji Digicam that has two temperature sensors in it.

About the charging itself: an interesting effect in NiCd cells (I guess in NiMH
cells as well) is that when the cells are full the terminal voltage actually
drops a little (from say 1.44 to 1.42 volts or so). I don't have the exact data
handy but it may be useful looking into. Also I'll do some monitoring on that
Fuji charger (which incidentally also switches on and off when charging - I can
hear it buzzing for a second or so and then a shorter silence). No idea if the
AJB software does that too

Do You Yahoo!?
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs