Subject: Re[4]: Load time lags
From: Uwe Freese (mail_at_uwe-freese.de)
Date: 2002-08-09

Hello Linus,

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote on Thursday, August 8, 2002, 8:27:47 PM:

LNF> I was thinking like this:

LNF> Have two timer settings, one for battery usage, and one for external
LNF> power usage.
LNF> When on external power, the spindown timer is treated the same,
LNF> regardless of MP3 playback or user activity. It spins down after X
LNF> seconds of inactivity.

For me it doesn't make sense to spin down the drive later when playing
mp3s and no user activity occured even when connected to the external
power! Because
5 sec read (on) - 45 sec wait (off) - ... (repeat it)
just as
5 sec read (on) - 15 sec wait (on) - 30 sec wait (off) - ... (repeat it)

both mean one spin down of the hdd.

But for the USB mode, a longer delay before spindown could be used.

LNF> When on batteries, the HD spins down after X seconds inactivity after
LNF> user interaction. However, if the disk spins up due to MP3 data

That is what I'd also prefer.

LNF> The setting parameters would be "always on"..1..2..3..4..5..6.. and
LNF> so on.

I think some settings with a name rather than numbers are enough:

We have to distinguish

- Battery vs. external power
- USB vs. play mode

Quick spindown:
                       | all modes
-----------------------|----------------
after user activity | (not used)
after reading from hdd | immediately

Delayed spindown: | Batteries or ext. Power | Batteries or ext. Power
                         | play mode | USB mode
after user activity | after 15 sec | (no user activity possible)
after reading from hdd | immediately | after 15 sec

No spindown:
                        | all modes
everytime | on

Bye, Uwe.